Sunday, December 04, 2011

Nothing will work unless you do.














Wow. I suddenly find myself working 7 days a week and clocking in close to 10 hours a day on weekdays. I don't remember my life being quite this harsh a few months ago. Yes I was in pain then- from not knowing what to do after college and the whole melodramatic mid life crisis shit.

But this is different.

The pain has morphed into something physical; creeping up my toes and calves and eating into my spine. Standing for 10 hours a day in front of a counter/kitchen is comparable to lying in a pile of mud the entire day. On good days, I smell like onions. On less fortunate ones, it's fried chicken grease.

Here are some questions for starters:

a. Am I paid? No
b. Did I go to culinary school? No
c. Is this my dream job? Not really
d. Where did I get my knowledge of how to run a cafe from? Coffee Prince, a Korean drama
e. When did I start on this project? On the 3rd day of my arrival back from Boston.
f. How did I find my chef? I posted an ad on the Straits Times and both my chefs came from Todai@ MBS
g. Who plans the menu? My chef and I. But mostly I blabber what I want and the chefs craft something out along those blurry lines.
h. How did I renovate this place? I designed it with my chicken scratch drawing skills and had my mom's banglas build it for me.
i. How am I surviving thus far? Dying.
j. What was my very first marketing strategy? Give out free food.
k. Who is the barista at my cafe? Me
l. Who is the cashier at my cafe? Me
m. Who is the server at my cafe? Me
n. Who is the dishwasher at my cafe? Not me. A bangla worker my mom lent me- his name is K.
o. How do I get sources of suppliers? I go to these Food Hygiene Courses in Mandarin and make friends with those ah chek chefs and act cute to ask for their suppliers.
p. What is my current greatest fear? A customer getting food poisoning and dies.
q. What do I find myself drinking most nowadays? Gin & Tonic/ Vodka with OJ
r. Do I really want to become a restauranteer? I have absolutely no clue.

Peace Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment