Thursday, August 12, 2010

#5 Can you give more than you take?

Today's the first day of Ramadan. Prices of dates have gone up by more than 20%, and I felt like the city looked rather grey. There certainly was less horning, the rickshaw drivers cycled more arduously than usual, and everyone looked, thirsty. However, at 6.38pm, the world broke into frenzy to prepare for Ifta, the breaking of the fast by eating a date.

The children at the shelter were beautifully dressed in their best clothes today. Although they broke fast with the date, I know they went crazy over the ice cream and attacked it before their main course. They really should eat more- it hurts to feel their bones. Sometimes I wish I spoke Bengali so I could understand what they are saying. Still, smiles and laughter knows no language. And it is easier for me to study Bengali than them study English.

It's rather hazardous for me to come to developing countries because I feel like I'm losing myself unconsciously. I know I'm extremely composed and focused in Boston, and every detail in my life is in order. In Bangladesh, feelings overwhelm me. And this is a dangerous thing because rationality is at stake. I need to keep my eyes on Jesus, and I will find Him where the destitute is, then will I be safe.

I need to learn how to let go completely, unhesitatingly, and be led by my Jesus, my First Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment