Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring is here!

Spring officially came last evening! It was the warmest it has ever been since I got here. I'm sure I'll miss the cold frosty winter mornings with my daily hot chocolate to warm me up. But, I'm very pleased Spring is here- it's magical to feel the weather change. I wore the beautiful sundress Gracie sent over to me yesterday for my deux (2) major final econs papers, because I believe that dressing up and looking pretty to go for exams is very important. It makes you psychologically stronger and more confident too. Thank you, Gracie, for sending it all the way here, I appreciate it very much- you're the loveliest :)





I have one last Poetry final tomorrow and I have to press on and finish studying well for that. It would be delightful to end the term smelling the last A, walking out from the exam room.

In more significant news, Zimbabwe's current self appointed president, Robert Mugabe, has been killing the families of his political opposition leaders- like burning the 8-year old son of the leader from the opposition party and brutally butchering the young wife of another leader. He plans to declare himself the new president of Zimbabwe through perfectly legitimate contested means, which even the blind can tell that it's not true. The African Union (AU) must pull their strength together and not recognize him and his party as the rightful leader of Zimbabwe; they're having their annual convention at Egypt next week, and I hope that they'll find a good solution to deal with this. The ironic thing is that apprently, the United Nations (UN) is not allowed to remove him via brutal force because well, they're not allowed to do so via the laws they had set for themselves. Their current brilliant plan is to disallow Mugabe from entering or trading with any of the UN nations, which excludes Russia & China (because they're communist). But this lame strategy will only hurt the people and their business more than Mugabe himself. We can imagine China being the factory of the world, continuing to supply goods and services to them, while the rest of the world just watch and come up with a politically correct & gentlemanly solution to deal with this barbaric murderer. It doesn't take much to come up with a solution- to secretly kill him. Or, have the UN troops round up him and his party and throw them in jail for trial. Then again, evidence must be hard to obtain knowing that the usual trials and procedures of law doesn't apply to cases & people of this breed.

I'm terribly concerned about this issue because my child, Mthokozisi (via Worldvision), is from Zimbabwe and I really do hope he's doing fine. Anyway, I read all of this from The Economist yesterday at the gym- take a read too if this excites you.

Poetry's calling for me now. I must answer him or I'll see my A fly through the window.

Have a good start of Spring day.

4 comments:

  1. ah i have that diana camera and i'm loving that dress.


    yes, i also have a world vision child and i like how you express your concern. do you remember the terrible tsunami in thailand a few years back? well, sadly one of my world vision girls was on an island that was wiped out and i will never forget her. i had her since she was four and she was 13 when the storm hit.

    sorry for the depressing comment, but i just wanted to let you know i know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you- a very nice friend of mine from singapore sent that dress over. i love it too. i'm hanging my diana+ there because i haven't been using it- film's too expensive online :(

    i do remember that tsunami which hit the indian ocean region on boxing day 2004. in fact, i was studying it in my oceanography class last wednesday and was choking on my tears (secretly in class) as the professor was describing the ocean processes, flashing pictures of devastation and knowing 250,000 died that day.

    i hope you're fine, and your lovely girl's in heaven right now having a ball of a time. don't miss her too much, you'll see her someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've yet to see a picture of you in the dress!! Sometime/eventually, yes? : ) lots of love!

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe yes i will soon gracie! i can't wear it yet because the weather just turned cold again :( miss talking to you :(

    ReplyDelete