



Grandma & I <3
If you're ever in Singapore, I highly suggest saving a dinner for Akanoya, at Orchard Parade Hotel. It's fun, with great service and ultra fresh food. This is the latest addition to the Akashi Group of restaurants, topping their annual turnover to about S$50 million in 2010. Everyone in the restaurant is 1. Male and 2. Japanese. Their service is immaculate and unforgettable. There is also no menu. You sit in a bar-like counter surrounding two chefs who grill on an elevated platform in a kneeling position. You can either just follow what your neighbor is eating, or pick from the vast array of fresh produce, which forms a moat between the diners and the chef. You tell the very cute Japanese waiter what you want, and he YELLS it to the chef, who then YELLS back in acknowledgement. All of the aforementioned takes place in Japanese and I have no idea what they are saying. The only saving grace is some Japanese inscribed sticks in front of the cabbage, and other ingredients, telling you what they are, but still without a price tag. This is useful only if you are Japanese or read the language. At 8.30pm, the entire restaurant bursts out into spontaneous, playful, hand-clapping and everyone temporarily abandons their meal.
Your food is served to you on paddles directly from the chef. You see, the paddle is used to reach out to you, across the moat of food. Beer is served likewise, and they only have Kinshi and Tiger- choose Kinshi. They also have a vast selection of sake, but I had to keep my manners in front of the elders of my family and not stumble out of the restaurant in drunken stupor. Thus, I cannot yet comment on it, but I'm sure it's great.

No comments:
Post a Comment