REALITY CHECK ۞ ۞ ۞
_____________________
I get the jitters before I step into Prof. I.'s office, every single time.
I get demoralized when I come out, every single time.
I don't get it.
Why is he so smart?
Why do I always feel so stupid when I talk to him. (And I always speak extra slowly to make sure the words run through my brains a couple of times first before they exit my mouth.)
His intelligence is, overwhelming.
It's rude to not look a person in the eye while having a conversation. Some people say, "John's intent concentration looks through the windows of my eyes and deep into my soul". (John is obviously a fictitious character.) But I kid you not when I say, "Prof. I.'s stare looks through the windows of my eyes, right into my brains, and take a walk around inside to determine if I'm a good nut."
Because his stare is so focused, which makes students nervous, he likes to smile a lot. This makes me feel confused and bewildered, I don't quite know how to react to these contradicting signals.
But, he's great mentor Prof. and I thank him for always being there (via email). Through Bangladesh, OECD recommendations, through Econometrics, Micro, Labor Economics and painful problem sets + papers and Honors Thesis.
He is wonderful, but very painful to be around, especially while talking about Economics and work because his razor, double-edged sword like wit and intellect will mercilessly strip you bare of any inflated fallacies and opacity.
And all that is left in the room, will be your naked (lost) thoughts and chicken scratch homework on foolscap.
I think I used too much brain power while talking to him, I ate a mountain of rice after.
And I'm in the library now MAD STUDYING for his exam on Tuesday. I am going to mother get the highest grade in his class so I can earn my right to talk to him about other non-class related stuff, like developing Economics and to discuss "Small is Beautiful".
In other news, I really really really HAVE TO ABSOLUTELY DO MY NECESSARY LAUNDRY TONIGHT TO SAVE MY LIFE BECAUSE I have no more underwear.
Okay, I shouldn't have said that.
BYE!!!
It's a known fact:
ReplyDeleteall college kids do laundry when there is no underwear left.
hence guess how many pairs of underwear one has to have if he/she does laundry every 5 weeks?
Hi ah lui missed you at dinner today- how's PA?
ReplyDeleteLaundry once every five weeks = 35 days, 35/2= 18 (whole number)
18 pairs of underwear, use twice each flip inside out to recycle mahh
;)