Friday, September 03, 2010

#9 Dance all day and eat a lot

The hole in my ballet shoe (from last term) is still there.


Dance Theater Group meeting #1


Giant glob of sun setting

I distinctively remember telling myself that I will attend ballet classes frequently and be very disciplined about it in the summer. This is undoubtedly the only way to improve strength and technique, while beating all the other girls. But you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that not only did this resolution so not happen, I flew to the polar extreme and failed to dance for even a single minute throughout the entire summer. This is appalling. The sun, fun, and Bangladesh must've gotten the better cut of my brains. But I'm glad that Dance Theater Group on Thursday night focused on modern dance, which acted as a warm-up for my ballet class the following day. I had expected today's class to be like, The-Ballet-Class-From-Hell, but it was surprisingly easy, though I kinda look like Quasimodo now, mobility-wise.

What I really like about ballet is how subtly the girls compete about their technique, height, poise, grace, beauty, physique blah blah. You win if you are skinnier and have longer legs. It sounds very superficial, but I think we're about the most honest bunch of people as you can get, because we acknowledge that these qualities do matter, regardless of if you're a ballerina, or not. The music, perfection, grace, and competition in ballet, inspires me each and every class.

I'm chilling at home on a Friday night after a productive 2-day week at school and am feeling rather accomplished and sleepy with semi aching muscles. I mean parties and all are very good, but don't you find it overly exhausting and time consuming? I feel the same level of satisfaction from eating a bowl of organic cereal after a long ballet class and from a fun night's out. I'm not a granny who likes to stay home and eat cornflakes all day long, but you get the idea that getting drunk EVERY weekend is not classy, and honestly, only cool if you're 15.
This is going to be a fantastic weekend because...

1. J. Choi's coming up from NY.
2. I'm attending 3 auditions for Aurora Borealis & Origins concert
3. My room mate, L., and I are hosting a dinner party for our SC girlfriends (plus some AC BU/Harvard boys and lots of white wine. No red wine because I don't want people puking in my toilet bowl.)
4. I'm going shopping for new dance clothes.

Have a great weekend too and enjoy the weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment