
Trishaw

I ride the trishaw to work everyday


view from Level 8 of the Grameen Bank
Hi, Bangladesh is pretty awesome, and what I had expected it to be.
I felt comfortable and at home the moment I stepped into the chaos. The heat, mad traffic, dirt, spicy food, bottled water...
Everything's so raw, so real.
The first thing that I learned was, poor people work very hard. It's a selfish misconception (and lie) to believe that poor people are poor because of their own fault. I'm sure this is true for lazy pigs in developed countries choosing to skip school and watch movies, or quitting their jobs because it's just "too tough". But in developing countries where people live from hand to mouth, in the most literal sense of the word, every opportunity is golden. I am convinced because there are no fat people- simply because they cannot afford to eat enough or better.
You can tell how hard a man works by looking at his back, his sweat stained clothes, callous hands, awkward smile, and weary expression. Trishaw riders work very, very, hard under the sweltering sun for a meager US$0.10 per trip. It's so heart-breaking, but they are considered to be the few "lucky-ones".
Poverty is real. And you must not only be aware, but also be familiar with it; the causes, effects, how it smells, tastes, and looks, how it makes you feel, and its different forms and appearances. You must be able to recognize poverty (to say the least), because oblivion is poison, toxic to your soul and everyone else in your periphery.
No comments:
Post a Comment