Sunday, May 23, 2010

#6 Corporate Social Responsibility

Hi,

I think I'm currently undergoing a mid-life crisis because this book, Creating a World Without Poverty, by Muhammad Yunus, is turning my life upside down.

The W*rld Bank and the Eye-am-eff (pronounce out loud, don't want to get sued for defamation) suck balls. Now, I'm not sure how much real productive work does the Oh-ee-CD do. This is in tandem with the built up of negative reports that I've been reading on how Latin American banks turned loan sharks are misusing the good name of Microcredit to create bad debts. On my last trip to Citibank, Boston, before I came back, I even picked up a brochure on their own version of Microcredit. Wow, was so very surprised that even they jumped onto the bandwagon with such enthusiasm so quickly.

I used to believe in them fervently, and planned my entire University career around how to gain a strong entry into their world. Now, having been recently accepted into one of the aforementioned think-tanks, and having one leg in there, I'm really not sure if they are what I thought of them to be. I know how the trap of idealism looks like, and have always been conscious to be a realist. But if what Yunus says is true, the aforementioned subjects are simply a very grand facade, and I am living a lie.

I asked my parents for advice. My mum said I am not going through a midlife crisis and told me to go pray. And my dad told me to seek God.

Sounds like great (and easy) answers to brush me off, but they are not entirely wrong. I just need more. So, I have decided to complete my Summer term well at Harvard this June, complete my Microcredit model and ALL readings, leech onto my professors and treat them like my shrink, before heading to Bombay & Andrapradash, India this August to start implementing it. I know that the chances of me succeeding are as great as India eradicating corruption, but I've had enough of getting misled and living in an academic bubble. At the end of the day, we all have to be real, because death is real.

Okay I'm going to run and look for God now. I hope He speaks louder than my heartbeat or the breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment