I see such "important" people failing and feel so sad.
My daddy used to tell me of how great a sportsman Tiger Woods was. Of how after every tournament, while the other golfers would head to the bar to continue accumulating a beer belly, Tiger would proceed to the range instead with his coach to practise. "It's not that bad" was also his secret to keeping optimistic and outrunning the others in the race. I believed in his discipline and determination. Apparently where he headed to after the range is a different story.
I also spent three hours of my life this evening watching Congress barbeque Aiko Toyoda and the various U.S. Toyota heads. I watched the trials and testimonies of near-death experiences and also deaths (in particular, of an entire San Diego family from a car wreck). Aiko Toyoda says that he will take full responsibility and they are "learning" from their mistakes. How on earth does he intend to take responsibility of such irreversible consequences? The "Learning" should have been done during Engineering class at University and not after re-calling US$8+ billion worth of cars, killing some their customers and endangering countless more. This seems like "trial & error" to me and I am even more peeved at their constant flashing advertisements of REPENTENCE: A GOOD COMPANY FIXES THEIR MISTAKES, BUT A GREAT COMPANY LEARNS FROM THEIRS; AND THAT'S WHAT WE'RE DOING NOW. It's been on the commercials all night long and I am getting more repulsed by the minute when they had blatantly ignored years of customer complaints of faulty cars. I hope they go bankrupt because we don't need irresponsible corporate tyrants around.
I will never buy a Toyota car or sit in one again.
Enough's been said and I'm going to bed quite angry now. Good night!
P.S. Bloomberg news just called Toyota's customers crash-test dummys because Toyota is unsure of the extent of their malfunctioning brakes/accelerators. Politicians are wanting to hop onto the bandwagon to flex their populous muscles too. Things are just starting to unfold. On a usual basis, I would call it exciting, but it is too solemn and sad.
hello emily,
ReplyDeletehow're you doing? that's a well written paragraph and i do share your resentment but chill! at the end of the day we can only hope that the 'learning' does in fact work out. after all, we, as humans aren't infallible as well
junwei
hi jw!!!
ReplyDeletegood to hear from you. i have been drowning in work and that basically sums up my life for now haha.
yes you're absolutely right- even if gahmen puts chop on "good to go" goods (like lehman bro minibonds) it can still fail eventually.
i think we the only thing we can securely put our trust in is in GOD!
what've you been up in in singapore? IMPERIAL FTW this Aug right???
i've just been playing golf and bumming around for a month. now i'm looking for a job, running out of money soon!
ReplyDeleteyeah IMPERIAL FTW! school starts in october, i'm leaving mid sept. when will you be back in singapore?
i'm aiming to be back mid may!!!!
ReplyDeletecool! we should meet up, haven't seen you since japan
ReplyDeleteokay! i'll let you know when i get back. i don't have a sg number anymore so i use my sister's one when i'm at home ha ha. when will huiyi be done with school?
ReplyDeleteSure. She just went back after Chinese new year, coming back again in June for about a month I think.
ReplyDelete