Thursday, February 04, 2010

#12 The Ketogenic Diet

I know this may seem like a very extreme polar shift. But I've been reading Professor Seth Robert's blog (he was a former psychology professor at Berkeley and is now at Tsinghua University in Beijing, and one of my personal favourite professors- I am his groupie). He spotted a high correlation between eating animal fat which corresponds to a better night's sleep.

This sounds quite strange, but a study was also done on children suffering from Epilepsy at the Mayo Clinic (read article here), in which they did not respond to medications. Thus, the doctors tried the Ketogenic Diet on the children, and fed them butter, bacon strips and a single strawberry each meal, on a high fat low carbohydrate and minimal fiber diet. I suppose health conscious nuts (like me) would automatically assume their cholesterol and lipid levels to be through the roof- but strangely enough, very very few children suffered from the unwanted results and.... the epilepsy stopped completely. But of course, we must take into account that children suffering from Epilepsy are more sensitive and deficient towards the fat content in food, and we can't drink flavoured canola oil beverages like how they do.

Anyway, eating small portions of animal fat also balances out the neurotransmitters and aids development in the brain, helps you sleep better and... doesn't fat taste absolutely delicious? :D
I'm looking into this now because after being Pescatarian and void of constant fat content since I was 16 (with a gap year in 2009), maybe my body's getting weaker :(

I'm also quite certain that I've eaten more Pocky and Korean Crown tidbits over the course of this month than I've did the past two years of my life. It's a major overkill and time to stop.

I will spend the entire tomorrow thinking about this Ketogenic Diet and if it will work out right!

P.S.

I ate:

Lots of Pocky + Korean tidbits (I find them so repulsive now)
Mi goreng
an apple
bran cereal + 2% milk
cherries
chocolate
2 bananas

I will not eat candy anymore. I will not eat sweet things anymore. I will not eat cupcakes anymore. I will not eat chcocolate anymore. I will not eat Pocky anymore I have it flowing out of my ears. I will not eat and live on biscuits anymore. I will sleep early too.

No comments:

Post a Comment