Monday, July 13, 2009

Thanks mum & dad for everything




























So a family friend from Hong Kong, Gorman, and his family went over to my home in Singapore just a few days ago for dinner with my family (I'm still in the States by the way). And he told me that my father was talking about me and re-enacting the conversation I had with him before I left for India.

Me: Dad, I'm going to Mumbai.

Dad: Ok, go ahead.

Dad: Wait, where is Mumbai?

Me: India.

Dad: WHAT?

Dad: Who are you going with?

Me: Nobody.

Dad: WHAT?

.
.
.

Anyway, my parents are really awesome for having supported me in every way to India (what was I thinking), but really, giving me the best time of my life, best fun, best pain, best growing up experience. I feel so much better equipped now in terms of understanding people, discerning people and having real-life richness from being with the street children, prostitutes, normal road side vendors...

I still miss eating the fried rice with an egg, every evening, on the road side 2 streets away from the little shophouse I stayed at. The vendor was a 20 year old boy happily frying rice, noodles, soup, chicken drumsticks and a whole array of other dishes, on a pushcart. What amazed me was how content he was, and the beam he had on his face watching people on plastic stools waiting for his 2 brothers to bring out the food, and being satisfied by it. I've always noticed myself to be so very captivated by his bright, pearly white smile (you know the contrast of white against his Indian skin made it even more brilliant) that was waiting to burst out into a laugh as he took my order, another's order, or whilst he was talking to his brothers, giving them a pat of encouragement for the great job they were doing at serving the patrons.

I forsee myself going back to Navi Mumbai just to continue where I left off and eating his fried rice, very soon. I hope he's still there.

I would also like to thank God for awesome parents who gave me equipped me with great roots and gave me even more awesome wings! I love you papa mama.




No comments:

Post a Comment