Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pottery Class

Today I went for my pottery class. It was difficult because there was more clay on my hands than on the pot. Controlling the speed of the wheel is like driving a car, accelerating, decelerating, braking- from which, I cannot yet drive. So, I moulded my clay at a tortoise speed. Occasionally, I was an F1 racer, and all my clay came flying around, which was secretly fun. Playing with dirt is always fun :)


Anyway, I made a pinch pot for Rebecca, my sister and carved her name on it. I will go back to the studio again tomorrow to practice because I really want to kiln a series of egg nested bowls for my family before they come here in June :~)


Rules of Pottery:


#1 Knead your clay like a snail to squeeze all the air bubbles out. Slice it down the middle with your slicing tool to check for air bubbles.

#2 Place a little piece of clay in the middle of the wheel and throw your slab of clay onto it. Wet your clay from the top, or sides of hands.

#3 Proceed by centering the clay onto the wheel. Both elbows rested on your thigh/knee, left hand at 7 o'clock, and bring the clay up (like a tower) and down again. Repeat twice or thrice to center the clay; you will see that as the clay moves along your hand, your knucles will not move about. However, do not hold your hand in one position for too long or your clay will mould into the shape of your hands. Remove hands gently to avoid distorting shape of pot.

#4 Place 2 thumbs gently onto the center of the clay and press down till it's almost the bottom- check with your needle tool.

#5 Right hand at 5 o'clock, with left supporting finger, pull the bowl out. Don't forget to breathe.

#6 Use sponge and various tools and work on the top.

#7 Ask the teacher or any fellow potter who's better than you for help. I'll continue my nest pot tomorrow first, then update this.

Time for me to wash clay off my hair and hit the books! Have a great night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment