Thursday, March 24, 2011

#12 A pair of hands and paper.

If I could hope for myself to be one word; I would like to be an adventurer. Of course most times I want to be a tree- calm, rooted, steadfast, and living in cycles all through the seasons. But then, a tree can't spontaneously ride the next gail across the Atlantic.

Still, you can be an explorer in your own backyard. Because it isn't the location that matters the most; it's your pair of eyes. My favorite professor, Prof. T, first worked as a supermarket security guard upon graduation with a PhD in Economics from Columbia. It might seem quite strange on why he would do that. And up till now, I still don't know why- but the fact is that he did. And we draw to the point that he noticed how that particular supermarket was located across from an old folk's community living, and the prices charged were significantly higher than other grocery stores. This was because the senior citizens residing nearby were mostly lacking in mobility- thus allowing that supermarket to monopolize in this senior citizen market, and basically exploit them. You would have never imagined your friendly, semi hippie, next door grocery store- where all the employees wear Hawaiian print shirts- to do this, would you? Prof. T wrote a paper on this and became a rather well-known labor economist. Evidently, a good pair of curious eyes and Economics are crucially important.

Most ideally, I would like to take a year long vacation after I graduate. I would not only be escaping unemployment, but enjoying myself tremendously as well. (But I think my parents would probably kick my ass, so these plans will come to a halt for now- LATER IS NOT NEVER!!!)

A pair of hands and some paper is how everyone starts their journey. I can feel a new one creeping down my sleeves as I turn around the corner. Let go, let breathe, and embrace everything that comes by you.

Enjoy these advertisements by Albin Holmqvist: (I know you will)













No comments:

Post a Comment