Friday, January 14, 2011

#6 Étant songeur.

Little India:





If there was anything I was ever envious of, it would be that of being pensive.

Being pensive is like being delicately thoughtful, accompanied with some lingering sadness. I like to think that the thoughts are kind, and often simplistic, but I could never completely comprehend everything. And this attracts me immensely, because it takes effort to decipher through their hunch backs and calculated stares.

They look at an item over and over again, and I can only imagine these thoughts in their head- "Do I have enough money? Can I afford this? How long has it been since I've had this? How much did I make today? Why is this so expensive? What about my family? Is this worth it? I wish I could have this. I'm hungry."

I admit it- I cannot understand why are they finding it so hard to simply walk into the store to 'grab & go'. I cannot understand why they stand for 15 minutes gazing at liquor, at sacks of rice, at vegetables, like the prices will change by the seconds according to the volatility of the stock market. I cannot understand why I am standing behind them for the same amount of time, trying to read their thoughts.

It is assuredly mind-boggling trying to conceive the notion of having to struggle to meet basic needs, like food. I felt like I was having a bout of indigestion from being unable to swallow this thought. It was disturbing me excessively that I had wanted to drag the man into the store and buy it for him. But it turned out that every soul outside every store was like that, and I was the odd one out.

And though I've always believed in the significance of bridging with people, it seemed like everyone surrounding me (there) had these crystalized thoughts, except me. Our minds were starkly contrasting, our thought processes were distant, and least to say, we were anything but equal. And because the only response I knew was charity, this made me feel really stupid.

Therefore, I resolve to practicing stringent spending this year, in a shallow attempt to mimic their form of extreme prudence. (I'm serious)

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment