Although India and China currently are (and probably will forever be) the two most populous countries on the globe, their impact on world markets differs greatly.
We are well aware of how China's export-led growth model is becoming unsustainable (or never really was initially), and are banging our buck on the revaluation of the Reminbi- which will hurt China either way (revaluation or no revaluation). China's domestic consumption (higher wages) will foh shure increase substantially, leading to greater imports, a less frightening trade deficit on the U.S. Balance of Trade accounts, and, a happier Obama.
India makes great masala and telephone operators. Every single customer service representative I've spoked to from Singapore Airlines and Citibank, sounded like they just got off the train from Bombay. With India's brain drain and black-hole problem of corruption, it's hard to predict how high on the economic development ladder they'll be able to climb.
I haven't studied anything on the economy of the African continent. (Does reliable and complete data of African countries even exist?) But I sure know that they're the 2nd most populous continent after Asia. Being big in numbers doesn't necessarily automatically translate to a natural growth in the economy.
I think this can be said for India.
The Indian government has to wake up for real, and start doing their homework.
That being said, India in itself, is rustic, amazing, and one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived in.

My favourite friend, Sweta



hiiiii emily! i saw your fb profile picture which looked vaguely india-ish or was it bangladesh and somehow got here. i like this post! were you in india this summer? i was in delhi! <3
ReplyDelete-candera
HI CANDY CHAN!
ReplyDeleteI went to Bangladesh this past summer and India two years ago after JC! What were you doing in Delhi?! I absolutely love India! <3